i am janet. hear me roar.

hallo? anyone hear me? welcome to the thoughts of dorkyjanet. u'll realize how un-dorky she really is =)

Thursday, November 11, 2004

in the faculty lunch lounge yesterday:

some woman sub: can i ask u a question?
me: sure
her: how is it that asians are so thin?
me: (i don't have a change to answer yet because she adds...)
her: is it the diet?
me: (still can't answer because she asks...)
her: is it the garlic?
me: (now i'm thinking... #1, she asked the WRONG girl. #2 i'm trying to bite my tongue because she was really nice but, man, truly uninformed. so i just say...) mmm, well i know a lot of asians who are not thin
her: really??
me: yeah, a LOT
her: the asians i've seen are always so thin
me: *shrug*
her: cuz i've been trying to lose weight for a while now, but i don't know what it is
me: um.. i think it has to do with genetics
her: really? u think so? genetics?
me: yeah (i just want to leave it at that)

so i did a good job of not blowing off at her. i could have, but didn't. i'm amazed, though, that she expected me to speak on behalf of my entire race. that all asians have the same kind of diet. and that we all use garlic.

on a much more fun note, my class along with all the other first graders at our school are going on our first field trip to the LA Zoo!!! so exciting!! ANDDD... stephanie aguon is coming along! AANNDD.. when i'm out for a teacher seminar next friday, my roomie jimmy and steph will be there to sub for me! woo hoo!! so lucky =) i'ma have big plans for them... muahahha....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home